Neypathiri (Fried Rice Pancakes): 31 Days of Simple Recipes: Day 15
1 cup water
1 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
1 large onion
1 cup unroasted rice powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
2. Grind it along with minimal water until you get a coarse and grainy mixture. When you touch the ground rice, it should be really grainy.
4. Tip the whole mixture in to a large bowl, add salt and mix well.
5. Add the rice powder and mix well using hands.
6. Place a large kadai (wok) on high heat. Take a golf size ball and flatten it into thick discs of 4-5 mm width using your fingertips by placing it on a plastic sheet. (Cut a shopper bag into square shape). Carefully hold the plastic sheet in one hand and remove the pathiri (disc) using other hand and slowly slide it in oil. Smear the fingers and palm with oil to avoid the dough sticking to the hand.
7. Once you put the neypathiri in oil you can see bubbles and after sometime it will float on top and puff up. it will not stretch and puff up as much as poori since there is no gluten in rice, but it will puff up if properly done. As soon as it puffs up, using a slotted spoon, flip it over and fry both sides until golden.
Fore more pictures and detailed instruction visit here.