Today I would love to share few tips and tricks to make your life in kitchen easier.
1. If you are using a pressure cooker to cook dhal or veggies, add a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil. This keeps excess water from drizzling out while cooking.
2. A quick way to cool a pressure cooker is to lift the 'weight' (that small thing you attach on top when the cooker starts steaming) using a wooden or plastic spoon. By doing so, you can let out all the steam in the cooker and open it up quickly.
3. When you have some free time, peel onions, ginger and garlic. Chop them separately using a food processor or make a paste using your grinder. Store them in separate containers in your refrigerator. What I love about this method is that it saves prepping time and I can start cooking straight away. I do the same thing with green chillies, curry leaves and coriander leaves. I don't chop them or anything - just wash them, wait them to dry and store them in tupperware.
4. I buy whole garam masala all the time and prefer to roast and grind it myself. This way I've small and fresh batches. I do the same thing with black peppercorns, cumin and cardomom.
Ground masala powders spoils easily. Also, you never know how long ground spices have been lying around in the supermarket. :)
5. When cooking noodles add some olive oil the water. This will stop them from being sticky and stodgy.
I will add more when I remember. :D Hope that helps for now!